19 June 2008

BIG KRUCKS!!!!

Manda invited PG and I to go with her playgroup to the Kennecott Copper Mines. I originally wasn't able to go because is conflicted with my appointment with my midwife, but while I was out walking yesterday, her office called and she was sick and wasn't coming in today. So I rescheduled that appointment and busted a move out to Manda's so we could go with them. We made it just in time to leave to meet her friends.
I should have realized what time it was when we got there...PG was being a REAL PILL! But thanks to Ashton and later a stroller we were able to manage. (It was lunch time so he was cranky...we all do that when we are hungry I think! - not to mention that nap time is soon to follow lunch...that never helps! :o))

On to the pictures...Here is his view of the trucks busily going in and out of the mine...dumping their load into the crusher that takes the ore on a conveyor belt to the concentrator 3 miles away.
These are the haul trucks. Thanks to Manda and John we have really cool stats for them. (John works there at the Kennecott and Manda wrote the stuff on her blog! - Thanks guys! :) ) So, this truck is the size of a 2-story house on 6 wheels. Each tire costs $35,000!!! and they have to be changed every 9 months!!! This house on wheels holds 400 gallons of Fuel...aren't you glad you don't have to pay for that fill up at $4+/gallon!!! And it can carry tons of rock! It truly is amazing!
This is a look down into the mine, it doesn't look like much be the bottom is miles away.
This is one of those $35,000 tires that the haul trucks use. It is a little dwarfing! Ashton was my big helper! He ran around after PG with his monkey backpack! At this point he was trying REALLY hard to get over to the school buses that were parked right near the visitors center. He was NOT happy that we would not let him get on the bus!
Finally PG gave Ashton a break. For about a minute and a half! Ashton was so good, when he didn't want to chase him anymore he would bring him back to me and tell me "I done for a little bit." Then a little bit later he would come back and say, "I will take him now". It was very helpful!!! THANKS Ashton!


It was so hot and I am getting so big that it is getting harder to be patient with his fits and running around so I am glad for his help! Here he is mad that I wanted to take a picture with him...
We then went into the visitors center and I went and got Manda's stroller. And I happened to look at the time and realized...hey he is hungry! No wonder he is being a turkey!! (I know I am a genius!) So he sat in the stroller and ate pretzels with Ransom and Ashton.




Then we went to the park in Copperton and had some food and the kids could run and play. Then is was time to go...more for my sanity than anything else. Under the circumstances I think he actually did well, I was just hot and tired and at the end of my rope! Sorry little buddy, I am still human afterall!!! :o) But I love you anyway!

Anyway, thanks Manda for letting us tag along! It was way COOL!


2 comments:

Amanda Alger said...

It was a fun day and great to get out for a bit!

Heather said...

Yeah for Ashton! What a good helper. :) Perhaps in a couple of years I will be grateful for Ashley's willingness to help.